Thursday, March 29, 2012

Strava-Good or Bad Thing?

Right out da gate...Strava is a very cool site for GPSers. It keeps track of everything, some glitches here and there, but good none the less. Here is what I dont like; the fact that it exists. You are a complete idiot-that is, you the reader responding to my comment. Let me explain why. If you are training, Strava can, if you let it, sway you from your initial plan. Strava keeps track of KOM's (King of the Mountain). This is a very cool feature, problem is if you are KOM, someone will eventually beat you. Now, if you have incredible resilience to having the immediate urge to suddenly awake at 3am in the nude due to images of a 3 year old on a tricycle ripping you a new one on your favorite climb to go out and hammer that section and reclaim your KOM, you are stronger than me. It is very easy to get caught up in the hoopla, I myself have done that, especially if you worked hard to earn it. So I am making a conscious effort to be more in tune with sticking to my training plan and hopefully stick to it.

2 comments:

  1. I think there is alot of truth to becoming a segment junky. The good things utimaltey Strava is going to make Strava users ride faster. Chasing segments is in may ways no different than interval training. Segment junkies are pushing themselves to limits that may otherwise only push themselves to when riding with faster riders.

    ReplyDelete