Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Trip to the ER

Well, since Bakers, I have had bouts of dizziness and feeling really weak. The weak part is normal after a long day in the saddle, but the dizziness and fainting episodes are not. So my wife, who is a nurse demanded I go to the Docs who proceeded to have me go to the ER. Well 5 hours, I cat scan and MRI later, I was told I had a concussion and a case of...ready for this term?


Rhabdomyolysis is the breakdown of muscle fibers that leads to the release of muscle fiber contents (myoglobin) into the bloodstream. Myoglobin is harmful to the kidney and often causes kidney damage. 


The thought of pieces of muscle running hand and hand with my whites ans reds doesnt sound pleasent. Lucky for me, mine was mild. It releases an agent (Creatine phosphokinase (CK) is an enzyme found mainly in the heart, brain, and skeletal muscle.) into the bloodstream which causes those symptoms. I thought I had a little Calvin Klein in me! This occurs in athletes in endurance events and the only cure is rest (hmmm...) and plenty of fluids. So, all is well and lookin to get back to ridin' hard. All told, I would have finished the race exactly the way I did; only if by stretcher would I have not. Oh, and new xrays came back negative on rib fractures, so just a chest wall muscle sprain. Over and out!

3 comments:

  1. So glad to hear of no broken ribs! But a concussion, you really did wreck hard. You're a tough guy for riding as hard as you did post wreck. Rest and get well soon.
    I'm having a slow recovery from Baker's, feel really flat with no power on the bike. Anxious to get back to normal, as I'm sure you are as well.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice from the wife. Rabdo can be pretty bad. I am a nurse also. Good to hear that you are on the mend. Love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, why you read this, I can only assume that you are just as looney as myself. Funny thing is that I can go through bouts where I feel great, then all of a sudden nausea and feelings of light headedness. I am not used to feeling so fatigued.

    ReplyDelete