Monday, August 6, 2012

Just a Lousy Day

Ugly...just plain ugly
Well, it was bound to happen. The dreaded DNF. I havent even seen those 3 letters in quite some time. Never thought I would see them again either. Unfortunately, yesterday at the first Cranky Monkey race of the year, it came back to bite me in the... Temperatures were close to 100° and I thought I was feeling ok. 15 looney singlespeeders lined up to beat each other up to get into the singletrack first. Off we went and the pain began. Dust flying, heavy breathing and...wait a minute, that was on the Nat Geo channel last night on the mating rituals of the Rhino. BAck to reality here...focus man. Anyway, Jon took off and I was much obliged to answer his first attack. First dizzy spell. We were out in front with about a 20 second gap from 3rd. I could tell Jon was feeling the effects of the heat as I was as well. Around mile 7 I felt the dreaded feeling of passing out and dizziness again. I thought, I will get through this, I am in 2nd place right now and I will prevail...uh I didnt. I decided to call it quits at the start of the 2nd lap and still 2nd place.

I tell you what, nothing is more painful than putting out an effort only to not finish; it sucks big time. I thought about going back out, but I just didnt want to end up on the side of the trail passed out or worse yet, falling and hitting my noggin on a rock and having everyone running over my lifeless body and laughing as they did. Visions of Tom Hanks in the Money Pit as the tub fell through the floor.

So today I went for an MRI and wont know anything until wednesday. In an odd way, I hope they find something so at least I know what the heck is going on.

Now I have to decide whether or not to pull the plug on the rest of the race season.

No comments:

Post a Comment