Friday, August 3, 2012

To race or not to race...that is the question

3k in 14.4 miles
Today I hit the trails trying to get a hard ride in before Schaeffer Farm this weekend. At 9am, it was already 86° and super humid. The goal was to get as much climbing as I possibly could in a short amount of time. Merrymans is the best place for mountain bike intervals-if you are akin for that sort of thing I suppose. The first climb, which incidentally starts immediately, is a rocky, steep grinder. Now, as you may already know, I am "suffering" from a case of dizziness-no not old age, AARP dizziness-and a bit of vertigo. Everytime I put in some hard efforts, my body seems to not listen to my brain. Anyway, the heat was suppressing which didnt make todays goals any easier. Funny how some of your technical skills seem to diminish the more time spent on the road bike. It was sketchy at times trying to navigate some areas, mainly due to the fact I hadnt ridden some of the section at all or it has been a very long time.
I decided to gear down to a 16 to make the climbing that much tougher. I was pleasantly surprised at the results I got despite struggling a bit at times with the feeling of blacking out. Cant imagine having narcolepsy.

I never go out to take KOM's on purpose. If I did, my whole training...wait did I say training? Hmmm-ok, I am back. If they come as a result of my training, so be it. It does feel good though. The thing about Merrymans is that there are no "easy" climbs; you have to really work hard. Lots of rocks, roots and steep grades, some as much as 15-20%.

So back to my title. Though the results show a good ride, my body is just not recovering well right now. Not that it wasnt difficult before, but it seems I am working alot harder than I should be. I have an appointment with the neurologist on the 22nd to see if there is something going on. My vision has been taking a hit as well. Seems the left eye-which is the side I hit my noggin at Bakers-is getting blurry. Maybe he will see that I am really a moron or at least a little on the insane side.

Eh, so I will have to see how I feel the morning of the race and decide from there. Stay single and ride hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment