Friday, October 12, 2012

Nice Little Gunpowder Ride

Little Gunpowder is one of those nice little out of sight out of mind type of trail systems. I say this because, it used to be that was the last place people wanted to ride. There wasnt a good loop and you couldnt achieve any decent mileage. Now, this is one of the east sides best kept secret...sorta. Over the years, the trails have been expanded to a very nice 25-30 miles or so. It is easy to get 2500-3500+ ft of elevation-technical elevation. There are quite a few 10%+ grade climbs and even a couple of 15%+ as well. Throw in some nice singletrack and views to boot and you have a super nice trail network.


Today was my first day back in a while; and the first on a mtb as well. There is a few new climbs that I was dying to test my fitness level. One of them being an 11%, 2/10 of a mile super technical climb. Riddled with leaves made it a little more difficult, especially the first time attempting this particular climb.

My legs arent in the shape they were in april, but I am not racing this year, so I can be casual with how I ride and how hard I want to push.

Tomorrow will be another hammerfest at the Bike Doctor shop ride. I think my legs are warmed up and ready to fly.

2 comments:

  1. Dave, What are these new climbs? Im pretty sure i saw this ride on your Strava but couldnt really make out where the new stuff was. I know the trails are in bad shape back there now, but if you head out that way (or anywhere really) and if you dont mind tour guiding a bit id love to see some new stuff!

    also, cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...The new stuff is on the opposite side of the Bel Air side. You make a left, over da britch (you have to say it like the Austrian gal on Dumb and Dumber) you will see a parking lot on the left and the trail follows along the water all the way to Bel Air road and goes up to the left. The Man Alive climb is a little bit before that to the right; bout half way.

    ReplyDelete