Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I like being old, even if it means getting older


Ok, maybe 43 isnt old to most, but in the SS mountain bike world, it aint a spring chicken either.  But there is something very cool about lining up with guys that can be your sons for peat sake! There is a mutual respect, though between us old guys and the youngins'. I never hear-man, your too old to be doing this or see you at the finish grandpa. The mountain bike scene just isnt like that. Eh, they dont think I am 43 either.

Young guys keep me motivated and moving. Who wants to lose to a 25 year old? Not me. This last race, I had a 30 and 27 year old pass me early on. I caught one 3 miles later and the other took a little longer, but I was able to reel him in and take him by 2 minutes and 21 seconds. Not that I gloat over that stuff-it isnt about that at all, but it does make this old guy feel good when it happens.

I have about 6-9 hours a week to train, not alot in the grand scheme of things, but its the quality sometimes, not the quantity. So if your old like me, you can still give to those young kids and still learn a bit from them too...like completely destroying their will to compete and being a dream squasher and letting them know this is a 40 year olds world and...man I got a little carried away there. Just go out and have fun and dont be afraid to push it sometimes, you just might surprise yourself, grandpa! Oh Yeah, go ahead and shave those legs, too. There is nothing more disturbing than a pair of sticks that look like air filters that have never been cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment