Sunday, April 29, 2012

From Rabdo to Appendicitis...whats next?

Well I thought having Rabdo was going to be a short lived set back...and it was. I was riding easy and looking forward to Iron Hill next week. Wednesday I starting getting some side cramps, thought maybe it was the junk in my bloodstream exiting and leaving my body, so though I was in pain I just went with it.

Friday came and it was much worse; to the point where standing was painful. I decided to call my wife at work and she was concerned and said to leave work and get my mother in law to take mr back to the ER to see what was going on.

We arrived at 4:00 and went through the whole onslaught of questions as usual. So, I had 2 IV's in me and the doctor saying it sounds like either a burst appendix or a kidney issue-neither of which are a good thing. So around 7:30, after a few CT scans the doctor came back with the news of an immediate appendectomy...OH JOY! So off to the OR I went for surgery. Remember your mom telling you about having clean undies on, cause you will never know what happens? Well I was goin commando! I have never had surgery before, so this was all new to me. I was worried, of course. It was an hour procedure, so I was out around 10:30pm and I remember nothing, absolutely nothing. When you are out, you are out. So I awoke with this immense pain from my boughs and thought they had taken the wrong organ out or something. I couldnt stand, it hurt to urinate, talk, cough...anything. Of course the first thing out of my mouth was-how long before I can get back on the bike. They found it funny, somehow it wasnt meant to be funny on my end.

I was in the hospital until 6pm yesterday and was told that I can do nothing...absolutely nothing for at least 7 days. That is a lifetime for anyone who rides and especially in the middle of training. Worst news I could hear. So, this next week is going to be extremely difficult both not being able to ride and doing nothing around the house to help. The pain in myside is down from yesterday, but wow, you dont realize what muscles you use just to walk and sit until those muscle arent available any more, at least for a while.

Saturday did have an up note though. Alex made the travel team. I really am upset that I wasnt able to be there to see it, but he is also playing with the 9-10's as well, so that makes it even more of an accomplishment. Great job son!

8 comments:

  1. Hey David, I was concerned about you. No rides for a few days means something must be up. Glad to hear they found out what was wrong and acted on it. Hope you are feeling better!
    Kevin S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn Dave! Hope you are felling better and I wish you a speedy recovery.
    Cosper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are alive!So sorry to hear about your episode. As usual, noone could make an emergency visit to the hospital so much fun to read about.Love the commando part and NOT suprised! Seriously, hope you are back to normal(?) soon.
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to be amusing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought something was up when i did not see anything outta yer strava. Get better and heal up! The trails aren't going anywhere and will be buffed and waiting for your return (although i'm no MD i'd say maybe hit the roady on a trainer to begin with).
    get well!
    Mark H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mark. It is tough sitting and doing nothing. For sure, I am going to take it easy for a while I think. I feel fat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just think of the grams you shed from not having your appendix (thats easily $100 in ti-bolts and carbon nick-nacks). Next time you are climbing angainst some chuump in a race you can just tell said-chump that his apendix is making him look fat and slowing him down...glass half full my freind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm... brilliant! I could loose a kidney as well. Like the way you think.

    ReplyDelete