Thursday, November 8, 2012

Why we ride bikes

When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking. ~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle  Wow, can you really say it any betterer than that? I was hoping to write a longer than usual, mindless bantering of my life as a bicycle rider and what makes riding bikes so darn special; I think Mr. Doyle made quick work of that. 

Seriously though, if you have spent any time at all on a bike; I dont mean those of you that think spending 5k plus on a bike and have it sit in your living room. I even have come across the guy that buys a roof rack and rides around with a bike on it that never touches terra firma. I am talking about those of us that actually throw a leg over the top tube and head out on that wonderful two wheeled wonder of human ingenuity. You are a different person on a bike. You arent stuck behind some metal and glass encased "get the bleep outta my way" carbon monoxide environment killer. You see things and get to enjoy things in a different light. Sure, it can be a bit on the dangerous side, but you dont think that way when you are cruisin along. Betcha cant say that when you are driving. 

It still amazes me how anti-cycling this country is. I mean its cheap, friendly, and best of all; gives you great legs! I guess the real question is; why dont we ride bikes more? I will tell you; PEOPLE ARE LAZY! Yep, lazy. You dont have to race or even ride a bike from a bike store (yikes), just ride a bike. Lets face it, if Queen can put out a cover like that and a goofy song to match, shouldnt that be inspiration enough?



So why do we ride? I ride because of all of the comments about my tight, lycra, figure enhancing outfit that shows the world what kinda man I really am (but only my wife has privileges to).

No comments:

Post a Comment